Laser technology has been in general industrial use since the early 1970s. The technology enables fast, precise, and legible marking and engraving of objects. Modern laser marking and engraving machines can produce a wide combination of characters, including numbers and letters, logos, graphics, barcodes and much more. The most convenient aspect of laser marking is that no ink or changeable parts are required to inscribe a workpiece. Moreover, they do not damage the workpiece, and the mark will not wear out over time.
Types of Laser Marking and Engraving Machines
The following are different types of laser marking and engraving machines used for an array of tasks:
- CO2 Laser System
- Fiber Laser System
- Nd:YVO4 Vanadate System
- Nd:YAG Lamp Pumped System
- Nd:YAG Diode Pumped System
What Makes Fiber Laser Marking and Engraving Machines a Better Alternative?
Fiber laser employs the most up-to-date technology compared to other laser marking machines. It uses a fiber as the lasing medium that is doped with rare-earth elements like ytterbium, erbium, neodymium, and thulium. These ions allow the fiber to generate a laser by being pumped through light-emitting diodes. Moreover, the use of fiber optics to deliver the laser beam makes the system compact and flexible.
Fiber laser marking technology offers a number of benefits over other types of laser marking systems. These include:
- The equipment is simpler and cheaper as it requires minimal maintenance and uses no consumables.
- Older machines required replacement of parts like glass tubing and diodes after a certain amount of use. However, fiber laser systems require minimal part replacement as the diodes have a significant lifespan. Also, any required replacement can be done by the machine operator without the help of a qualified technician.
- The air-cooled design of fiber laser systems eliminates the need for a water chiller. A diode pumped laser system has a built-in water chiller for cooling. Whereas, the lamp pumped systems require an external chiller.
- The power requirements for a fiber laser system are much lower than other laser systems. The fiber lasers run on a standard 120V outlet.
- The system produces a much higher quality beam than most laser marking machines available. Other systems produce a wider and less consistent beam.
- No use of harsh chemicals makes the laser marking system environmentally friendly.
Overall, fiber laser technology is more convenient and cost-effective than other laser marking and engraving machines. So, if your business requires marking and engraving capabilities, then fiber laser marking equipment is the one you need.