Inkjet, hot foil, and screen printing, which were once largely employed to mark pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and associated packaging, are slowly being removed from the scene. There are several drawbacks to these methods, which include:
- The marks created are easy to alter or remove
- Marks may fade quickly due to long distance shipping, rough handling, or careless storage
- These methods utilize several solvents or lubricants, making them environmentally unsustainable
- Inkjet, hot foil, or screen printing are complex processes, consuming a lot of time and result in high labor costs
So, which is the most reliable and cost-effective replacement method for medical device/product marking? Which method provides an environmental friendly way of marking medical products without the aforementioned drawbacks? Laser Marking can provide a better alternative.
Laser Marking and Engraving Medical and Pharmaceutical Products
When it comes to marking pills, stents, tubes, and other medical related products, laser marking is the ultimate solution. The technique has replaced several traditional marking methods over the years. Compared to inkjet, hot foil, and screen printing, laser marking is a non-contact method, and provides the following benefits:
- It can create high-contrast, high-resolution marks easily on curved or contoured surfaces.
- The marks created cannot be altered or defaced easily.
- Neat and unfading marks can be made that remain intact after years of storage, harsh handling, or offhand shipping.
- The marks created are durable and indelible, and can resist high temperature sterilization processes.
- It can create neat marks with no grooves, creases, or burns on the work piece.
- The marks created are resistant to acids and cleaning solutions.
- Laser engraving systems guarantee contamination-free, non-distorting marking for a range of products. These can include blister packs for disposable syringes or jars for OTC medicines. It can also create biocompatible and legible marking on the following medical products:
- Surgical Screws
- Medical Implant
- Scalpel Blade
- Surgical Tweezers
- Pace Maker
- Dental Instrument
Laser Marking – The Solution for Safe and Efficient Medical Device Marking
Zero defect marking and traceability throughout their life cycle are essential requirements of the medical market. Precision marks created by laser marking systems are unbeatable, and hence, are chosen to mark a wide range of medical products.